Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Welcome and Well Met!

I began this blog many years ago as a requirement for Graduate School.  I was working on my MLiS (Master's of Library and Information Science) and for our Young Adult Literature Course, we were required to keep a blog of 20 books that we had read - to do an annotation and an online book talk - in a genre that we did not normally read within the Young Adult Literature section of the Library.  After I finished the class, I kept adding to the blog because I enjoyed it so much!

We find ourselves in the midst of a Global Pandemic like we haven't seen in 100 years, and here we all are, searching for books for us to read, and books for our children to read.  And here's my blog, to help you all find good books.  (I hope you consider them as good as I do!)

There are multiple ways to access the titles in my blog.  There's scrolling directly down through years of content.  There's the search feature. I also have the lists that I attempted to sort out by genre.  It works for me.  I hope it works for you.

*Note - I just added Tweens today.  I'm starting with Tween Literature that begins today.  I have other Tween Lit in the blog, I just haven't sorted it out yet, because Tween Lit was not the original focus of this blog.

Accessing books when the library is closed.
There are a lot of books here, and you would quickly go broke attempting to buy them.  Instead, use the digital services at your local public library.  If you have a library card for your local library, you have access to the online services.  The big e-Book services in the United States are Cloud Library, RB Digital, and Libby (part of Overdrive).  These readers are available in your App store for your device.  If you have a Kindle, be forewarned that only Overdrive plays nicely with that reader.  But that's okay, because you have many options available through Overdrive.    Don't have a device?  You can download the book on your laptop or desktop and read from there.

You will need a library card to access your account. And a pin number.  Many library systems set a default pin number of the last 4 digits of your phone number.  Don't have a library card?  You can register for one online - even if your library is closed - and access the e-materials.  If you're still confused, find the online "ask a librarian" service for your local public library.  (The link is somewhere on your library's home page.)  While your library may not be open right now, the virtual reference desks are being checked and someone will be able to get back to you and help you access your card. Maybe not right away, but within a couple of days.

Teens and Tweens
As of today, I've switched the format from solely Teen Books to Teens and Tweens.  For the time being, I'm going to highlight any books that I think are appropriate for kids 10 and up.   (Those are the Tweenagers).  I'm also adding the publisher's age guidelines. 

I advise all parents to check the content of books in the YA section.  If you are wondering whether or not a book is appropriate for your 11 year old to read, you can check out Common Sense Media before you hand them the book: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/

I'll be updating the Blog periodically today.

Stay healthy, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment