Friday, February 3, 2023

YMA Announcements

Last week, I listed my top picks for the YMA Awards.  

I picked a few correctly, and I was way off on several more.

The Newberry Award

I had picked Swim Team by Johnnie Christmas

The actual winner was “Freewater,” written by Amina Luqman-Dawson


Printz Award:

I had chosen either A Thousand Steps Into Night by Traci Chee or

Ain't Burned All That Bright by Jason Reynolds and Jason Griffin

The actual winner is “All My Rage,” written by Sabaa Tahir


Caldecott Award:

Again, I had 2 favorites: Luli and the Language of Tea or Berry Song. I would like to note here that Berry Song, written and illustrated by Michaela Goode is a Caldecott Honor Book! 

The winner was “Hot Dog,” illustrated and written by Doug Salati. 


Coretta Scott King Award Winner:

I had chosen Swim Team by Johnnie Christmas.  (I really do love this book!) This book is a CSK Illustrator Honor Book!

“Standing in the Need of Prayer: A Modern Retelling of the Classic Spiritual,” illustrated by Frank Morrison, is the King Illustrator Book winner.


You can find the complete list of award winners here: https://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2023/01/american-library-association-announces-2023-youth-media-award-winners

No comments:

Post a Comment