Monday, December 28, 2009

Pass the Book

I try to keep my own voice off of this Blog, as the purpose of this blog is to review YA Books. I try not to express my own opinions about what I read, and what I personally feel about the book.

Having said that, I am about to break that rule. I was visiting the Howard County, Maryland Libraries today and I became aware of an awesome program that they have begun for their teens called "Pass The Book". I am so intrigued by the idea, I have to share it with you. The possibilities for discussion are endless. The ability to tie in a classroom assignment with the public library web page... from Geography tie ins to statistics, this is an idea that could be utilized across the curriculum by teachers. The programming possibilities for a librarian are only limited by the imagination.

Here is the information about their program, direct from their Winter 2010 Programming Guide:

"Look for specially marked copies of The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld. Read the book. Register the book's number at hclibrary.org. Pass the book to another friend. Return to the web site throughout the year to track where the books traveled, and participate in online book discussions."

The link to the Howard County Website is below. Check it out!

Pass The Book

Howard County Library

No comments:

Post a Comment