Friday, January 25, 2019

Children's Literary Awards

The Printz is coming!  The Printz is coming!

The American Library Association will be announcing the Winner of the Printz award on Monday, Jan. 28 at 8 am Pacific Time.

If you're so inclined, you can watch the live feed of the announcement here: http://ala.unikron.com/.

For my own part, I wanted to speculate on this year's contenders.  From the books I've read and Book Talked on here, my personal favorites are:

Children of Blood and Bone
Author:  Tomi Adeyemi

This high fantasy tale, set in Africa relates the story of Zelie and Tzain - both descended from powerful Maji.  The King has forbidden the use of Magic in his country and has hunted down and killed the magic users throughout the country.  There is one chance - one - to restore magic to the kingdom or see it lost forever.  Zelie sets out to seek that one opportunity to restore balance to the world.  But will she be able to complete her journey before the opportunity is lost forever?

The Cruel Prince
Author: Holly Black
Jude is a young girl unexpectedly swept into a world of Fairie Intrigue when he biological father shows up at her mother's door, slaughters her parents, and takes the children back to Fairie to live with him.  The world of Fairie is unexpectedly twisted and corrupt, and Jude struggles to stay out of high court politics and live her life as "normally" as possible.  This illusion she has lived since being brought to Faerie is shattered when the High King of Faerie gets ready to step down and appoint one of his children to be the next High King.

I've heard a lot of buzz about Poet X, by Elizabeth Acevedo, but I have not yet read that book, so I can't comment.  It's on hold for me at the library though!

Side note here, if you've read my picks for long enough, you know I tend to favor Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books, so you know who I'm pulling for!

What book do you think is going to win?

No comments:

Post a Comment