Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Printz Awards

The Poet X won the Printz.  I have not  yet read the book - it literally arrived on the hold shelf for me on Monday as the awards were being announced, and it is the only book on my desk right now.  I just finished writing my Book Talk for the Darkest Star, and this will be the next book that I read.  I am really looking forward to the book!

The Honor Books -
Damsel - Elana K. Arnold
I, Claudia - Mary McCoy
A Heart and Body in the World - Deb Calletti

I did read Damsel, by Elana Arnold.  In looking back through my posts, I realize that I didn't write a book talk for Damsel.  It is an interesting take on a fairy tale with a feminist twist and very unexpected ending.

I was really rooting for Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyumi.  I have described this book to friends as a modern day Lord of the Rings, based in Africa.  The world building in that book is phenomenal.  The research Adeyumi put into West African Folk Tales in order to write her story is evident throughout her book.  It is a masterpiece of Young Adult Literature.  Children of Blood and Bone was named a finalist for the Morris Award - which honors a book published by a first-time author writing for teens and celebrating impressive new voices in young adult literature.  (http://www.ala.org/yalsa/morris-award, 1/30/2019)  

Her next book, Children of Virtue and Vengeance, is due to be released on June 4 of this year. 


Thanks for taking the time to stop by and spend a little time with me!  Have you read any of the Printz Award Winners yet?  What did you think of them?


No comments:

Post a Comment