Tuesday, November 15, 2022

The Magic Fish

 Nguyen, Trung Le. The Magic Fish. 2020. Random House Graphic. New York, NY.

Traditional Vietnamese Folk Tales interweave throughout this graphic novel story of a young Vietnamese-American boy struggling to find the words to tell his parents of his sexual orientation. I love the beautiful retelling of these stories and how they tie together the plot points as Tien struggles to find the words to speak his own truth. 

I especially appreciate that while the entire work is written in English, I want to point out the work that the author/illustrator used with the text to indicate which conversations were in English, and which conversations were taking place in Vietnamese. It helped me feel like I was a part of a separate conversation that I would not normally have been allowed to hear.

This book is magic. If you haven't read it yet, add it to your list! It's an awesome tale!


Image: World Cat

Author Website:

http://www.trungles.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment